Sunday, October 5, 2008

The movie 13

I talked to my 17 and 20 year children about the movie 13 and about the Mall of America discussion we had in class last week.  My daughter remembers seeing a part of the movie 13 about four years ago.  She said that it was disturbing to her then to think of the sad lives so many young people have.  It was apparent that the girls did not have good role models in their lives.  The school seemed too open with little or no adult supervision.  
My son is 17 and likes to shop the name brands.  We talked about the kids in Minnesota prostituting themselves in order to buy the labels them prize.  We all agreed that selling sex for clothes is sick and goes to far in this material world we live in.  I explained to my kids that these children have major issues that are deeper than wanting expensive clothes.  Poor parenting is probably at the root of this problem.  The question was posed in class, Where are the parents? Obviously not very involved in their children's lives.  
Both the movie and the news report are disturbing.  It seems like in today's society kids are raising themselves; there are no boundaries with promiscuity as the norm.
How are educators suppose to do their jobs when students are so troubles with serious life issues?  Learning and achieving academically are not priorities for a lot of kids or their parents.  It makes me wonder why some of us want to pursue education as a career.   Maybe it's the idea that helping one troubled youth have a positive future is worth being a teacher.   

1 comment:

Katie said...

I totally agree with your post. It's really scary to me to see even now how parents don't care nearly as much as they used to it seems. I don't have any idea what it's like in that situation, seeing as my family was quite strict about those rules, but it is very true many kids are just not being supervised or recieving the attention they need. Not only does it get them into this trouble, it leads to a whole series of different issues and needs. I think I can honestly say, as a future educator we know we are going to face these troubles and it's only going to get worse. But, as we talked about in our group discussion, there really are no fine lines of a job description as a teacher. I think it's something we have to look forward to, in order to make a postive impact on these students' lives. Great blog!